Friday, December 5, 2008

Thoughts On Having More Babies

It seems that everywhere we turn right now, women are pregnant - neighbors, friends, family, preschool teachers, etc. So it didn't surprise me that yesterday Maya rubbed my belly and said, "Mommy, is there another baby in there?"

"Nope Maya, no baby in there." I replied.

We went back and forth, her insisting on a baby in my tummy.

Fast forward to this morning while I was cutting Kenyon's fingernails. It reminded me of a story from when he was just 4 weeks old. He suddenly started screaming uncontrollably day and night. At one point he pulled on his ear so I was sure that he must have an ear infection. Why else would he scream so much?!

I rushed him to Urgent Care where a doctor checked him out. As he was screaming his guts out in the office, the doctor smiled at me and asked, "Is he your first?"

"No" I answered, a little puzzled as to why he was asking.

He went on. "This baby is perfectly healthy. He just needs to go home and be loved."

WHAT?! As if I wasn't loving him enough and on top of that, he was insinuating that I was a first time mom that was over paranoid. He then proceeded to show me how to cut his fingernails that were getting long. He seriously took the time to show me how to cut his nails and how to hold his finger so that he wouldn't move away and get cut. I left the office - ticked off that I had paid a copay to be told that I was crazy and nothing was wrong.

No - there was definitely something wrong and it was colic! And that, my friends, is the reason there are no more babies coming into our family right now. Cutting Kenyon's fingernails this morning reminded me of those long colicky days. So amidst all of the new baby excitement that is surrounding us right now, we are not jumping on that bandwagon.

Great reality check!

7 comments:

Clarke and Kamie said...

love the christmas card! so cute!
Its funny when you are noticing pregos everywhere. When we were trying for #2 (which took 2 years) I would be so pissed to be living in Utah county where EVERYONE is pregnant.

Camille said...

You are a wonderful mom. Sometimes doctors are idiots! The Christmas card turned out cute! Liv keeps asking for Maya and Kenyon. I'm running out of excuses why we can't come see them!

Kyle said...

Not to talk about my own kids BUT...my mom said that Ben ask her today if she had a baby in her tummy...she thought that was hilarious!

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

I totally get where you are coming from. Maren was very colicky, it was not fun. And this new baby has had a couple of days where she just cries and cries for no reason. I am convinced it is something that I am eating and then it is getting transferred to her when I nurse. :( I think you guys have another one yet coming in the next couple of years! :) Just my prediction, though. Love ya.

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

I totally get where you are coming from. Maren was very colicky, it was not fun. And this new baby has had a couple of days where she just cries and cries for no reason. I am convinced it is something that I am eating and then it is getting transferred to her when I nurse. :( I think you guys have another one yet coming in the next couple of years! :) Just my prediction, though. Love ya.

Denice said...

Hmmm...I really didn't need to see that right now. ;) Now I know who to call for advise if our baby is screaming non-stop.

Love the Christmas greeting!

Tatum said...

Peyton was so colicky. I put an IUD in that was expensive and lasted 10 years. I was so fine with that. Who would of thought I would have another one just over a year later. A angel baby till she hit age 1. They all come different. You are both such wonderful parents!