Friday, December 7, 2007

Humble Pie


I am certain that Kenyon was sent to our family to teach me many valuable lessons. Later on I will post about all of the lessons I have learned from his adoption, but today is Lesson #1 - Humility as a Parent.


Before Kenyon came along, I had certain beliefs about what "my kids" would or wouldn't do. These beliefs have become myths that are proven wrong every day!


Myth #1 - My kids sleep through the night at 8 weeks. Kenyon didn't start until 6 months and then since he has been sick, we are re-training again.


Myth #2 - My kids don't have colic. Remember my posts from back in May and June??!!


Myth #3 - My kids never experience separation anxiety. This has gotten really bad lately. He only wants me - not Jeremy, not the babysitters, not even grandparents, just me. Help! Any experienced moms with advice? :)


Myth #4 - My kids rarely get sick and when they do it only lasts a short time. We all had the stomach bug last week for less than 12 hours, Kenyon - he had it for 7 days.


Myth #5 - My kids like to ride in the car. He is getting better, but from day 1 he screamed and screamed every time he got in that blasted car seat.


Here are some myths that I still hold that I am sure he will diminish:


Myth #6 - My kids potty train themselves at a very young age.


Myth #7 - My kids respond very well to time-out.


Myth #8 - My kids will sit quietly and watch Sesame Street while I shower and get ready.


Oh the list could go on and on, but I think you get the point. I am no longer the super mom that I thought I was, but you know what, I think that is okay. I am learning some pretty important life lessons through this job called motherhood. So please join me for some humble pie.


Thanks goodness it is Friday!

5 comments:

Jill and Preston said...

Brit I am SO with you. The second child really shows you that all kids come with their own personalities. You do what you can, but they are their own person. I have felt the exact same things about Wells.

Mariel said...

Yea! I always thought that I could do things so much better than the grouchy mom's in the store, the frazzled moms in sacrament meetings, and the psycho mom drivers in their minivans. I can't. I try so many things...charts, time-outs, talks, all creative measures to make them model children but, I think it's not possible. They scream for all the grocery store to hear, they are in the hall nearly every sacrament meeting and I am always trying to drive with one hand while I use the other to pass the cheerios back, break up their fights, and wipe their snot from their sneeze. I'm a mess. All I can say is that I know Im doing the best I can. Being a mom is tough! I'm humbled.

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

HA! I cant wait till Kenyon is 3 1/2 and not potty trained :) YOu just got a really smart one the 1st time around! That isnt usual you know! And the time out..cant wait for that not to work! Only cause I want you to suffer on both of them with me!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

ps- its a good thing they are so dang cute huh :)

Tricia said...

I can't even begin to tell you how different each and every one of my kids are. Chelsey was my hardest. Corbin was my best! Keegan has been really easy, both Corbin and Keegan slept through the night by 3 mo, Kaylix has yet to master that. I keep trying to teach him, but it takes me longer to keep giving him his binky and trying to get him back to sleep than it does to just feed him and get him back to sleep. There are so many differences and things that work for one, NEVER work for the other. I have never been a very scheduled, organized person, but I am feeling the results of that!