Friday, September 21, 2007

A Little Behavior Modification

Maya has been driving me a little batty lately. I couldn't figure out if it was me being hormonal or her being naughty. So Jeremy and I took a closer look and realized that she is becoming a typical toddler and has some behaviors that need a little modification. So I must share my new plan with you.

I made a chart today that has a box for the 7 days of the week going across the top and then 2 blank boxes going down the side. Each week we are going to pick 2 behaviors that we need to work on. For example, this week the blank boxes will say "I can obey my Mom and Dad" and "I can play by myself." Next week, there will definitely be one about being nice to my friends (another thing we need to work on!). Every time she does a great job, she gets to put a sticker in the box under the current day. I haven't decided if just putting a sticker on the chart will be reward enough or if 10 stickers will equal a greater reward, like a small candy :).

Back to this weeks goals - I have figured out that she is not obeying very well and then she is also not playing independently anymore and that is why she is constantly getting into trouble. I am going to set a timer for a couple of minutes and get her playing with some toys. If she plays alone until the timer goes off, she gets a sticker. I will eventually set the timer for longer and longer periods of time. Pretty sneaky, huh?

Okay, I know I am a neurotic mom, but my greatest fear in life is that my kids will end up like kids on Nanny 911 or Super Nanny so I am taking prevention steps now! :) I will keep you posted and would love any feedback you expert moms out there can give.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I think you are such a cute mommy!

Shanell said...

If you're neurotic, I don't even want to know what I am. You're being a great mom and teaching so many wonderful lessons. Keep up the great work. BTW, let's practice playing by ourselves with some girl play dates?

Tricia said...

As someone who always has big plans with charts, let me just pass on this advice, the first time that you don't give the reward, or you forget to put the sticker up, is the second that it stops working! Good luck with the chart!