Monday, February 16, 2009

On My Mind Tonight...

First, do you think it is time to take my Christmas card off the top of our blog or can I leave it up all year?

Second, yesterday I flew to California and back to deliver "goods" to my good friend Elise. Those "goods" were her children who have been staying here with our friend Kiara. What a sweet reunion I witnessed as they embraced in the airport. Elise is doing so much better and is working on gaining back energy and strength before she starts chemo next week. Please pray for her!

Next, today I met with our foster care worker to get started. Yes, we are going to do foster care next. This is a journey we have always felt compelled to do, but wanted to wait until our family is "complete" before going down this road. Who knows where it will lead us, but we are ready to hang on for dear life. We are open to children ages 0-3 years old. To think, we could have a baby in our home in just a couple of months! Until then I am busy filling out paperwork and getting our house in order for the big inspection.

So, we have also been thinking about getting a bigger car. Yesterday we scoured the internet looking at SUVs. Jer is set on a minivan, but I am not feeling the love. The final decision: let's wait and save some more money to put towards it. We haven't had a car payment for aquite a while and once we started looking at numbers, I decided the Corolla will last a while longer!

Speaking of Jeremy, he is gone again. Going on week 4 of working out of town. Single moms and ladies out there with traveling husbands - I salute you!

Finally, I still haven't posted pics of Maya's birthday "get together." I decided we only have parties every other year now so I called it a "get together" instead, but it was very much a party. Hopefully pics will come soon!

Thanks for listening to my ramblings. This is what you get when I don't have a husband to pillow talk with! Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, questions, advice for me?! If not, that is okay because Jeremy usually doesn't respond to my ramblings either.

Good night!

12 comments:

Trixie said...

I must say, mini van all the way. I was incredibly reluctant to get a van myself but, when we had our third we dicided to bite the bullet. We really do love it now. It is so roomy! We can even take extra people with us now. We have one with a DVD player and it IS my Sanity! My kids are so good in the car now. Love it!!

cami said...

SO glad your friend is doing better and I hope chemo goes well. I met her little one at Kiara's. The older girl was at a playdate. Cute girls!

I've got mini-van envy too, but I do love my Chevy Tahoe. I can seat 9 in seatbelts and have tons of room. Not so good on the gas mileage, but I like to think that my hubby's Hybrid Civic makes up for it!

WOW, very exciting news about fostering! That's great and I'm so happy for you. Exciting changes coming you way...

Emily B. said...

NOOOO! Not a mini-van! It's not a club you want to join. There are some really great SUVs out there- even some that seat 7-9 people. Just say "no" to the sliding doors! :)

Anonymous said...

Foster care! I can't wait to watch this adventure. Excited for you guys.

And. Must say - get the mini van! Ours has automatic sliding doors on the remote, you can open and shut doors from the drivers seat AND whoever dreamed up stow and go seats is a genius. I insisted ours have all those things before we got one, and it's heaven. :)

RISSY GLAMOROUS said...

hello Brit sorry jer has been gone for a while :-( but the foster care thing will be cool especially for kiddos 0-3years not a full grown kid with other issues lol. Well lets see minivan or suv ok suv seems like a lot loading and unloading maya and kenyon so they won't fall on their face because of the height minivan is a little more convenient and most of them has all these cool new features. Although suv's are great for mom's rolling in-style. But through it all it will still be your decision, your budget etc. love ya girl. Kiss the Nephew for me Thanks!

Kyle said...

Mini vans are so great with little kids...my opinion! We also want to get another car...you guys should buy our van...you know its a party van! :)

Tatum said...

I miss you. So much going on! Can't wait to catch up with you. . um someday! How awesome you are to do foster care. You are a truly amazing woman!

Still bummed we missed Maya's get together. Post those pics!

I could totally see you in a mini van. You know you wanna?

Let me know if you need anything. I'm just up the road :)

Adam and Tiffany said...

I am with you on the whole traveling thing! My hubby traveled for a year and I only got to see him 3 days a month!!! It was horrible. Advice: kids in bed no later than 7:30 - and between kid bed and mom bed - NO WORK! Do something totally for you.

I salute you on the foster child thing. Wow, that will be huge. Good luck.

Tara said...

So we joined the mini-van club and bought a Honda Odyssey when I had the twins last year. There are many SUV's that fit the same amount of passengers. But as we looked none that we found were as easy to access all seats for helping young kids with seat belts and most did not have enough room for a double stroller when you had all of the seats up. So, out of pure logistics we made our decision. I have been very happy with this van though it drives low to the ground. Jon has lost some of his manhood, but we plan on trading it in on an SUV as soon as we feel like our oldest two can get themselves in and out. Also, the gas mileage has worked out with the high gas prices.

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

I say go for the mini van for the next 10 years then you can get an SUV! That is my plan. Good luck on the foster care. I think that is so awesome and we have thought about doing that at some point in our lives. Sorry Jeremy is gone so much, but it sure makes you appreciate them so much more! I will keep you friend in our prayers and I hope call goes well for them.

Debbie said...

Our Honda pilot is going up for sale! 8 seater! plenty of room..And you know Dean has taken good care of it!

Timberly said...

Love my Honda Odyssey. Never thought I would love a mini van but it is awesome. When my arms are full of kids a press of a button gets those doors open and they can't swing the doors open to hit other cars.

Foster care, good for you. That is something Kyle and I have been kicking around for years. What is holding me back right now is that I work and it would be hard to get new kids settled and in day care over and over. I already miss enough days with my 2. Maybe someday. Can't wait to see howit goes for you.