This is probably too much detail and way too boring for many of you, but I wanted to document our trip for us to look back on. Here it is!
Day 1 – We flew most of the day. I tell you what, it was so easy to fly without kids. When they announced that you need to put your oxygen mask on yourself before putting it on your kids and they didn’t then come reiterate it to us like they usually do, we knew we were traveling alone! When we landed in Maui, I checked in with our kids. They were with a neighborhood sitter while Auburn and Chris were at work. Both kids were crying. I was shocked that Maya was so sad. She was sobbing, “I want you Mommy!” I had a meltdown right there in the airport. For a second I wanted to get back on the plane. Instead I called my parents and asked if they would go over and make the kids happy. It worked!
So we left the airport in our SUV that claimed to have room for luggage for 7, but our luggage for 4 barely fit. After making a quick stop at Costco for snacks, breakfast food and beverages, we were crammed in that vehicle.


We made it to our hotel just in time for sunset. We literally pulled up as the sun was setting – breathtaking! Our rooms are nice – nothing to write home about, but fine. They are right on the beach – ocean views and sounds included so that is amazing. Oh and here is the irony of it all. I was really looking forward to coming to Hawaii to get away from all of the snowbirds/retirees that have invaded Mesa. Well little did I know that they also invade Maui and our particular condo complex in particular. We have to be the only couples here that are under 50.
That first night we went for a walk on the beach and came across a HUGE sea turtle. We didn’t have our cameras and hoped that we would be able to see him another night, but haven’t had any luck yet.

View from our room!

Day 2 – Remember one of the things I looked forward to the most was sleeping in. We slept in until 6:30 am. With the time change this is 9:30 am at home so it felt great!
We agreed to go to a timeshare presentation to get discounts on all of our activities. We decided to do it this day ato get it over with. It was torture! For 90 minutes we had to sit and look out at the beautiful ocean that we hadn’t even been in yet. We told them we had no intention to buy, but they still pressured. As soon as it was over, we ran to the beach and snorkeled and sunbathed the rest of the day.
Our luau was that night. It was fun. The fire dancers were really cool. We sat by some really funny couples that were arguing about government and politics so that provided great humor.
Jeremy said to me today, “I haven’t seen you this happy in a long time.” Take me to Maui more often Jer! It is so nice to be away where we can focus on each other without distraction. We really do love each other still!


Day 3 – Best day so far! Started out the day with breakfast at Cheeseburger in Paradise - Fun atmosphere overlooking the beach. Then the boys dropped us off for our massages on the beach while they went golfing. The massages were outstanding! It is under a canopy right on the beach. You wear your swimsuit and I worried that people would stare. It felt so good that I didn’t even think about the people that were staring!

Maya saw this picture and said, "Ahh, cute family!" :)

After our massages, we headed to do some shopping in Lahaina. Fun, fun! Then we found this incredible restaurant for lunch called Kimos - Yummy, yummy seafood right on the ocean. For dessert we had this delicious hula pie. It was by far our best meal yet.

Could this day get any better? Oh it did! We headed to get pedicures and then the boys picked us up and we headed to the beach where they snorkeled and we layed out. Heaven!
We ended the night at a fancy steakhouse. We were still in our swimsuits so we looked really ghetto, but we didn’t seem to care. I had my favorite seafood, swordfish, and we ate an exquisite banana dessert that my mouth is still watering for.
We are having so much fun being here with Adam and Katie. We all get along so good since we have known each other forever! We can completely be ourselves and I love it! We laugh and laugh and have the best time!
Day 4 – We started out the morning by going to the swap meet. It was fun to shop and get some souvenirs that we hadn’t seen elsewhere.
Next – The Road to Hana, aka the Road to Hell. This road is full or narrow turns and people that don’t ever get car sick do. So as a frequent motion sickness victim, I took Dramamine and had my Sea Band bracelets on. I didn’t get sick, but it wasn’t my favorite part of the vacation. We did hike through an amazing bamboo forest to some waterfalls so that was really cool. It pretty much took all day long. Jeremy was in a really bad mood all day so I was getting so mad at him for “ruining my vacation” with his bad mood. Also, he was very, very cold and wanted the windows up, but Katie and I needed them down so we wouldn’t get car sick. When we went to dinner, instead of eating, he walked to Old Navy and bought a sweatshirt. Strange since he is always hot! We figured it out later on in the night – he had the sickness bug that the kids and I had before we left! He had a horrible fever, chills and body aches all night long.
Hiking through the bamboo forest to get to some waterfalls
The boys are on top of the waterfall
And why were Katie and I not up there? Can you see Jeremy climbing up the rocks using that rope? I was not about to attempt that! :)
It was really beautiful along the way - this beach had black sand

A cave with a pool in it that we hiked to

Day 5 – Jer is completely out of it! He can’t even talk. I hated to be a brat, but I had to throw a “now you know how I felt when I was sick last week” comment out there. So he is staying in bed all day.
Meanwhile, we had on the schedule to do his favorite activity – the zipline through the jungle! I felt really bad going without him, but it was non-refundable so I went ahead. It was incredible! There were 5 different lines that you went along. I was not too scared which was surprising. Such a fun part of the trip!
Yes, that is me dangling on that zipline!

Tonight we ate dinner at Hula Grill on the water. We watched the sunset from our table so that was really cool and I ate some more yummy seafood.
I got Jeremy some homeopathic medicine for the flu. It has taken away his fever and chills, but he is still achy and really dizzy.
Day 6 – Today Jeremy has watched Lifetime Television for Women all day. I keep teasing him that he is faking it so he can watch chick flicks all day.
Adam, Katie and I went to a restaurant for breakfast at a really nice golf course. In fact, the Mercedes Benz classic is held there each year. The food was divine and the ocean views were spectacular.
I am not feeling completely great myself (still have my yucky cough) so I have been laying around with Jeremy. This afternoon Jer was feeling well enough to go for a swim and lay on the beach. It helped him feel much better so tonight he was able to join us for dinner. We went to Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse. Good food and good times to have Jer back with us.
The boys out boogie boarding

Later on we had a romantic night on the beach – we bought a tiki torch, dipped strawberries and bananas in chocolate and ate them on the beach. So relaxing, beautiful and yummy!

Day 7 – AMAZING is all I can say about today! We went on a whale watching and snorkeling trip to the island of Lanai this morning. All week we have been seeing whales from the coast, but to be in the water with them was incredible. At one point a mama and her baby were circling around our boat. I cannot believe how big they are! Jer put on some goggles and stuck his head under the water for a great view of them. He took the underwater camera with him so I can’t wait to see what he shot. I got a little sea sick, but not too bad. The snorkeling was good. We saw turtles, fish and some beautiful coral.
Wow - we are white! :)
Look how close they were!

Here is a painting of what part of the whale you see above water. Can you believe that is all you can see?! I can't wait to get our underwater pics developed to see what we see down below!

After our trip we napped on the beach all afternoon and then went a Leilani’s on the beach for dinner. More delicious seafood to eat along with some killer Hula Pie for dessert!
Tonight we are taking our last nighttime walk on the beach. So sad to see it all coming to an end, but I am ready to go see my kids again. They are doing great without us and I am so glad we didn’t bring them since so many of the activities that we did are not kid-friendly.
Day 8 – Time to go home! We slept in, layed on the beach (the waves were HUGE today) and went to the aquarium for the last day. We had some time to kill before taking a red eye flight home tonight.
I can’t wait to see my babies!!!
Big waves today!


The shark exhibit at the aquarium was very cool! You can even scuba dive down with all of the sharks if you are certified - FREAKY!
Real fish - doesn't it look like a photo?!
Day 9 – Home at last! Our kids were so excited to see us, but they haven’t been clingy and whiney like I thought they would. Kenyon grew up! He acts older now – talking and signing more and is much more independent. I love that he just goes off and explores and plays and is not obsessed with me anymore. I think the break was good for us! We are all happy to be home!
Thanks to Chris and Auburn, Nana and Grandma and Grandpa for taking such good care of the kiddos! Now back to the real world – unpacking and laundry…
Checking out his ukelele
New bath toys!
What a cute hula dancer! (oh and she has been asking and asking for a pirate shirt "like Ben" - her friend - so I am worried that she is going to want to wear this new shirt everyday!)
7 comments:
WOW, looks like you had SO much fun! Thanks for the idea about the zip line, I think that looks soooo cool. I will ask you more about it on the phone
way cute pictures, and I love the part about Jer being grumpy...SO shane! But he wouldnt be sick :)
That sucks he was sick, poor guy.
Glad you are home :)
I am so incredibly jealous!! Your trip sounds like heaven! Ryan and I just decided we are going to but a condo there when we win the lottery! Great pics.
That looks like so much fun! I am glad Maya could get her pirate shirt like Ben...I will let him know :)
I am SOOOO jealous of your trip!
It souds and looks like you guys had a great time. I must say I am jealous. I cannot believe how big the kids are getting. We miss you guys!
How fun!!! I can't believe you did SO much and the pics were great!! Sucks that Jeremy was sick but at least he still got to enjoy what he could! Love Maya's hula outfit..too cute!
AHHH even though we were there just a few short months ago That makes me want to go back....I LOVE Maui...
GLad you guys had a great time other then all the sickness!!
Looks like you guys had an awesome time as well. We were in Puerto Vallarta. I love the beach!! So fun!
Post a Comment