You will notice from the picture above that Maya's hair is not braided. Can you believe it??!! There are few pictures out there where her hair is not in braids. Here is the deal. We (Jeremy and I) took out her braids this morning for over an hour and then we ran out of time so she got to sport puffs to church today. Doesn't she look adorable in that get up??
I knew that at church I would get bombarded with comments and questions about her hair. You see, all they ever see is her braided hair. People ask why her hair is always braided in fancy styles. Let me educate a little here...
Hair is a BIG deal in the African American culture. I didn't completely realize until Maya was here. Then I started researching more into AA hair. I read books, joined an online group and started talking to other moms.
I work for an adoption agency answering phone calls from prospective birthmoms. When a birthmom says that she is Black, I explain to her that most of our adoptive families are White. There is always an awkward silence following. I then go on to further explain that I am a White mom of Black kids and I have learned how to take care of their skin and hair. I am able to cornrow my daughter's hair now. Many then express that hair would be their number one concern about placing their baby with a White family. After hearing that I was able to learn, they feel more comfortable going forward. I remember Maya's birthmom saying when Maya was very young that her and her sister were going to have to fly out and teach me how to do her hair. Am I getting my point across - it is a HUGE deal!
One of my books, "It's all Good Hair," does an excellent job of explaining the importance of hair:
"For centuries, Africans have been recognized for their intricate braiding styles. And African-American women have vivid memories of sitting between their mothers' or grandmothers' knees as they put Dixie Peach or Blue Beaugamont [oil] in our hair."
This book goes on to explain that more important than all of the new hip hairstyles that I have learned to create with Maya's hair is to create loving experiences - memories of Maya sitting for 2-3 hours having her hair combed, oiled, braided and unbraided. We watch a movie, eat treats, and enjoy this time we have together. It is precious time and I am so happy to have Maya's beautiful hair to bring us together for these moments. I love it when we are out and about and people of all ages and ethnicities stop us to ask who does her hair. When Maya says, "My mommy does," it makes my day.
Along with leaving lasting memories, I hope to convey to Maya that I love her hair. I never want her to think that I dread doing it, but rather look forward to working with her hair. I want to help her develop pride in wearing her hair however she chooses, instilling in her a grateful heart that her Heavenly Father made her special body just for her. When I am done with a style, she loves to go look in the mirror and marvel at how beautiful she is - that I love!
So why do I always braid it? It is more convenient (2-3 hours every couple of weeks rather than 20-30 minutes each day), it is quality time with my daughter, and it is a way to show everyone (Maya included) how much I love her hair - just the way it is.
Oh and I had to share a picture of Kenyon the stud all ready for church! :)
3 comments:
got it :) I got it before though. But I did love her hair today, it was cute!
You are such a good Mom Brit! I dont know if I would have the patience you have, if I was in your situation. You have 2 beautiful children! You both are perfect examples of GREAT parents!
You are such a good mom. What a great blog.
Post a Comment