Friday, November 16, 2007

I survived!

I made it! Some of you knew that my friend Kyle was going out of town and I was asked to watch her 3 kids during the days yesterday and today while her hubby worked. So there I was, with 5 kids, ages 5 and under. Overall it went very smooth.

Here we are headed to the bus stop:

The big kids


The babies


The experience couldn't have gone off without any "incidents" so let me share it:


We had just picked the 2 older kids up from the bus stop. We were headed inside the house to have lunch and then put the younger 3 down for naps. I unloaded the minivan (yes, I was driving a minivan). The kids were all walking into the house through the garage. Where Jer's truck is usually parked sits an oil pan. His "classic" truck (he has a new and an old truck - we refer to the old truck as his "classic" truck) leaks transmission fluid so the pan is full of it. As Nathan (age 2) walked through the garage, he went and stepped right in the pan, slipped, and fell on his bum with transmission fluid splashing all over him. I mean ALL OVER HIM! His pants were dripping with greasy, red fluid.


Up until that point, I was feeling like I could easily have a couple more kids. I mean, things were going really well. I was feeling like super mom. And then it all fell apart. I was trying to bathe Nathan, rinse out his clothes that were stinky and stained, change my clothes that were now stinky and stained, make lunch for the older 2 kids, pick Kenyon up so he would stop crying, put the younger 3 down for naps, and gain some sort of order in the house.


Jeremy has to work tomorrow (Saturday). I was telling this to a friend tonight and she said, "That sucks for you." You know what, my 2 kids feel like a reward now. To go back to 2 kids is my treat for enduring 2 loooooong days as a mother of 5.


(Don't worry Kyle, I would do it again in a heartbeat - I love your kids! Although next time I think I will join you on your girls' trip!)

2 comments:

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

I am totally up for early morning shopping! But there has to be something worth getting up for. I need to check the ads. Let me know if there is anything special that you are going for for Maya or Kenyon and I will more then likely copy you. My family is going to my sister's on Thanksgiving, she lives in Hurricane but that doesn't mean that we aren't going to get our kids together because we have to or who knows when it will happen. Love the family pictures. This Auburn girl is really good. Again love Kenyon's hair, he really is so adorable. Okay this is a long enough comment. You should e-mail me at jmeek32@hotmail.com with things that you are going to go shoppping for. Tai Pan and Krumpets are tops on my list so far.....

Denice said...

I was worn out just after the first paragraph! Makes me wonder how my mom did it for not just her kids but also running daycare 5 days a week! Takes someone special and I think you've got the touch. :)