Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Rockstar's Prayer

Maya is pretty sure she is a rockstar. Where she got this idea, we have no clue, but she often asks us to refer to her as Rockstar Maya. When she is a rockstar, she has this mean expression on her face and attitude like you wouldn't believe.

So the other night when we asked her to say the prayer at the dinner table, she replied, "Rockstar Maya will say the prayer." At that moment, Jeremy was still in the kitchen getting some last minute food and the kids and I were seated at the table.

She began, "Uh, uh, Heavenly Father, uh, uh..." in a voice with MAJOR attitude and although her arms were folded, eyes closed and head bowed, her body was rocking to her "uh, uh" beats.

Jeremy hit the ground behind the counter to cover his face while he laughed.

"Maya," I managed to say between covering my smile, "We show respect for Heavenly Father by praying to him in a respectful voice." Then I covered my face again.

"Okay," she said and went on to give a very respectful, well thought out prayer.

And during her prayer, Kenyon was yelling, "Uh, uh" the entire time and Jer and I had our heads bowed and faces covered!

Any rockstars in your homes?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is completely awesome.

Courtney said...

I hope "Rock Star" Maya will add some "uh uh's" to her talk in Primary!! :) She is SO cute!

Heidi Hamilton said...

That is so funny & cute! And while McKinley doesn't use the word "rockstar," yes, we have had ro remind her on numerous occasions (last night being one of them) that we don't use our silly or animal voices during prayers.
Oh what fun kids are!

Katie said...

That is awesome! I need to see you guys!

Mandy said...

What a great story! Maya is so funny.

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

I love that! She has so much personality!!! Love the new blog layout and fam pic! Very cute.

Tatum said...

Where does she get her funny material?! She is a genius!

Adam and Tiffany said...

That is sooo funny. How hilarious. I love it.

Kyle said...

Maya is hilarious!